- Written job applications usually include a cover letter and resume
- A cover letter is a statement addressing the key selection criteria
- A resume document that briefly summarises your knowledge, skills, and experiences.
Written job applications usually include one or more of the following items:
Sometimes, if a job is advertised on a website such as Seek or CareerOne, you might also need to copy information from your resume and put it into an online form.
Writing a Cover Letter
A cover letter is a short (about one page) letter where you can introduce yourself to a potential employer. It usually contains:
- a brief introduction of you
- what job you are applying for and the reasons why you’re interested in the job
- some of the skills that you can offer the employer
- your interest and availability for an interview
You can check out Youth Central’s How to Write a Cover Letter page for detailed advice on writing a cover letter. On the bottom of the page, there are additional links for specific situations, like how to write a cover letter if you don’t yet have work experience.